Thursday, October 22, 2009

Destination Engagement

It all started off with an email that invited me to a second annual beach competition between me and Jared. Yes, I did say second annual. The first annual "Olympic" beach competition (and I use the word Olympic very loosely), I beat Jared 3 out of 3 events. I would have to say it was beginners luck!

This invitation to a day of fun quickly turned into email banter that captured the essence of our relationship. We love a good friendly competition and we aren't scared to hackle each other before hand either.

Here's Jared's Call to a Competition:

You are invited/challenged to participate in the "Destin Beach Mini Olympic Tri-athlon 2"

Events include:

Standing Broad Jump:




Long Jump:



&

Triple Jump:




I hope you can attend...the competition will be fierce!

My Response:

I’m already warming up and ready to bring it!





I love you! This kind of stuff makes me want to marry you!

Jared:

That picture frightens me a little. But it doesn't matter who you draw your inspiration from, you will be ...



And just so you know, I have been training secretly....see



Are you still sure you want to marry that?

Christiana:

Yeah! Yeah! This is what I have to say about your “secret” training.




We had already planned a fun trip to visit my sister in Florida, so this became part of the adventures for the week. As you can imagine, there was tons of anticipation for this part of the trip. I mean what else do you look forward to on this type of glorious vacation other than the white sand beaches, boating to Crab Trap Island with my family, relaxing in the sun, dipping your toes into the clear emerald ocean, watching the 4th of July fireworks from the shore of the ocean, and I can't forget our short little mini trip to New Orleans on the way. Isn't it funny that with all these great events on the itinerary, I was still super excited about me and Jared's 2nd Annual Olympic Triathlon?


Here are some of the highlights leading up to the grand finale:

New Orleans










The Emerald Coast:

Me and my sis having a glass of wine and reading our books. One of our conversations during this outing centered around my sister's question. "Do you think Jared is going to propose tonight on the picinic he is planning for you." I chuckled as I answered, "There is no way. He would be so nervous. He has been way too calm and himself today." I was so sure of my observations.



Do you notice the space between the two of us around his pocket region? He put the distance there so I wouldn't feel the ring. He said I kept on bumping into it.



Our picnic spread:





The boardwalk that leads to the beach where we got engaged. This was also the view as we ate our southern style picnic: rotisserie chicken, mac and cheese, baked beans, Hawaiian roles, KEY LIME PIE (our favorite), and wine that carried out the beach theme.





Jared's future is so bright, he has to wear shades!




Notice the kite in this picture. For some reason I have an obsession with kites. I just love the fact that they are completely free to fly but are grounded at the same time. As I admired the kite, I turned to Jared and said sometimes I think I wish I was a guy. I have so many great ideas for a marriage proposal. This one that popped into my head was showing up to the beach with a kite soaring in the sky. The kite would simply read, " Will you marry me?" Who would have guessed he would ask me that same question this night...July 7, 2009?!?!





The pagodas in the background were where we had our picnic.



"Destin Beach Mini Olympic Tri-athlon 2"

Warming up for our Destin Days second annual Olympic Triathlon.





Getting a running start for the triple jump



Go Jared GO!





Unfortunately, one of the events did not include the nose dive. Sorry Jared.



We were hysterically laughing at this point.





Dust yourself and try again!



Maybe the 3rd Destin Beach Mini Olympic Tri-athlon will turn out differently for Jared?!



Boy did I win or what?! This was the trophy of a lifetime! After our Beach Olympic games we talked of life and our future. Being the philosophical, tough love, encouraging type I offered him some advice for life.

Quote:
"Jared sometimes you just have to take a risk."

With this advice, he said, "That's what I am doing right now." As he got down on one knee he asked the question that would change our lives as we know it.

"Will you marry me?"



P.S. I said YES!

1 comment:

  1. That is the CUTEST proposal! Congrats, you two seem like such a fun couple!

    ReplyDelete